Sunday, July 18, 2010

Two Lamps Revamped

Monogrammed Lampshade



Is it just me or do projects just "happen"?




I've been wanting to redo this lamp as part of my kitchen desk makeover.  I had the idea to do the monogrammed shade, but was waiting to find a shade to cover.


I finally found a cheap-y shade at Goodwill that I thought would work.


I used osnaburg fabric.  I srarted with the natural color and tea stained it.


I cut a peice of paper for a pattern of one shade section.  I cut out six, and sewed them together.  I added a ruffle on the top and bottom.




To make the monogram, I printed a "J", cut it out, and traced around it with a mark be gone marker.  It washes right out when your done. 


I embroidered the "J".  You could also stencil it.




Here's lamp revamp #1.  I spray painted it with American heirloom white and glazed it with Ralph Lauren Smoke.  What happened to the monogrammed shade you might ask?  Well, after I painted the lamp, the new shade did not look good with it at all.  I could have repainted the lamp, but the white looked good with everything else.  So I made another shade slipcover out of the red check.  I added a linen tie because I really wanted to bring that look over to the desk.



Well...of course I had to do something with the first shade.  I really liked it.  So 45 minutes before the thrift store closed, I ran out to try and find a lamp.  This was my two dollar find.  It was a bright royal blue.  I sprayed it with Krylon's oil rubbed bronze from Wal Mart and brushed on a gold metallic (Dazzling Metallics in espresso from Hobby lobby). 


The finish really did turn out nice.


And this is lamp revamp #2.  So even though I never planned to do the second lamp project, it "happened" anyway.

Janet

Please visit these parties for lots of great ideas:




11 comments:

  1. Really nice transformation. I am a big monogram fan...so that makes it even better. You definitely should be featured in a romantic home magazine! Lisa~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. I love the red check shade cover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that monogrammed shade, Janet, and I'm so glad you were able to use it! I think it looks great with the second lamp and its ORB base. Love the little rooster lamp ~ seems the perfect size for the space, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Love both revamps....how long did you soak the onasburg in the tea? Turned out looking just like linen :) Marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I need to take some sewing lessons from you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great tutorial, lovely project.

    i am inviting you to link it up at our DIY TUTORIAL linky party http://www.finecraftguild.com/diy-tutorial-linky-party-6/
    so our readers can find you and your blog!

    weekly linky, so you can come back every week with some tutorials and we’d love to feature you!

    rose

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, projects just seem to happen. I really like all of your creations. I hope you will link this up to Fabric Fun Thursday, you'll inspire a lot of people :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the monogrammed shade. I may try something like that for a lamp I need to update. It is fun to see how creativity takes over. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am LOVING both these lamps! So cute and I may have to copy so I can have them in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how I love Osnaburg. I started a shade out of burlap but it was too heavy. Osnaburg is so much better. Wonderful shade...love the ruffles!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty lampshades. I especially like the monogram.

    ReplyDelete