Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Plate Hanging Madness



The arrival of the holidays also means the means the arrival of guests.  This is my guest room in progress.  I don't have any before pictures because it was basically a blank room.  I began collecting things for this room about eight years ago.  I had the fabric that I found for four dollars a yard, the matching sheets, and the plates that I had collected.  Everything else I decided to use what I had. I painted the room a pretty french blue to go with the toile and hung blue and white plates for the focal point over the bed.  This is where the madness began.  Some people could probably hang these just by "eyeballing" it, but not me. 

 

I laid out a big piece of paper, measured, and placed the plates equal distance apart. Then I drew around the plates.



Next I put the hangers on the plates and measured every plate to see how far down the hook should be on the wall and made a mark in the circle.



Then I taped the paper on the wall and made a pencil mark where every hook should go.  It was a piece of cake after that.



That's about as far as I've gotten with the room.  I will be posting more as I go. 


Janet

I will be linking this to DIY Day at A Soft Place To Land and Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Chic Cottage. Also Boardwalk Bragfest.

13 comments:

  1. They look really pretty above the bed. You hung them the smart way; I'm one of those eyeballers and let me tell you, it shows. Next time I'm going to put more effort into it and copy your method. Thanks for sharing!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful so far. I love the french blue and the plates. You were smart to make a template for your plates. I would have made 500 holes in the wall. No doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the plates above the bed. I probably would have gone with the eyeballing method and like the other two comments...it would have shown!!
    Your guests are going to have a wonderful room to stay in.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janet,
    I love the plates! Great idea on the paper outline! I'm with you on the first 2 pics of stairs~ I think they're my favorite too.
    Thanks for coming by!! Have fun w/ your decorating & hope you get it all done before Thanksgiving:)

    Shellagh

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look beautiful in the room. That's a great idea to use a pattern for placing.

    Hubby and I just hung some plates this past weekend and out of 3, one was waaaayyyy off and we only had to measure one on top of the other. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty plates. I love the paper outline idea. Very cool!

    XOOX
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice display. Was there any reason you chose the wire hangers over this type of Plate Hanger?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the plate you chose and the layout. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a wonderful job. The plates look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, i've just discovered your blog. The plate idea was very clever and they look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Cheap Chic Home. I love your plate collection. Thanks for the hanging tip. Knowing me, I'd just grab a hammer and "have at it"!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love the blue and white plates and I love the idea of how you hung them! After the first of the year, I plan to hang pictures and mirrors up my staircase.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent idea; will have to try this because I 'eyeball' things, too. Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete