Sunday, August 12, 2012

Decorating With Old Drawers and A Fun Day of "Picking"

A few weeks ago I got the opportunity to do some "picking".  A hundred year old electrical company went out of business.  The company had a 10,000 square foot warehouse stuffed to the ceiling with who knows what.  I took gloves and a flashlight and got to work digging.  Most of the stuff was related to lamps and wiring, but what I fell in love with was the office supplies and old drawers that were everywhere.  These green drawers were just too cute.





These drawers held nuts and bolts and whatever else you may need to fix lighting.  I painted three of the drawers white and painted on numbers.  And don't you just love those spools of string?






The next drawers were the same as the white ones except they had the paper labels still on them.


I decided I needed to keep these.  They are on  a shelf in my family room.







I also found these drawer labels and holders that I put in a jar.


And finally, these two tall drawers were also painted white and given a graphic from the Graphics Fairy.





I  had so much fun digging through all that junk even though I was a little nervous about finding little creatures.  At the end of the day, the man in charge said they had found such creatures dead and alive.  I'm glad I found out after I was done!

Parties I am joining

 Between Naps on the Porchfor Metamorphosis Monday
The Farmhouse Porch for Cowgirl Up
My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for Tuesdays Treasures
Knick of Time TuesdaySavvy Southern Style for Wow Us WednesdaysDIY by Design 
Primp for Primp Your Stuff Wednesday
Ivy and Elephants for What's It Wednesday
Restore Interiors for Restored it Wednesday

Domestically Speaking for the Power of Paint party
The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation ThursdaysNo Minimalist Here for the Open House Party on ThursdayMy Romantic Home for Show and Tell FridayFrench Country Cottagefor Feathered Nest Friday

 2805 for Potpourri Friday

The Thrifty Groove for Thrifty Things Friday

Chic on a Shoestring Decorating for Flaunt It Friday
Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday
The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday

Fingerprints on the Fridge for Feature Yourself Friday 

Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special


35 comments:

  1. Oh, I just love everything that you have found! What lovely vignettes that they all made. Glad you didn't run unto any critters!!

    Have a wonderful week!
    Aledia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Those are so cool. I just love the look of it all. You have a great eye for vintage design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your creativity! Any of the cute old labels for sale?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love digging for treasures! Nice finds. Love old drawers and paper goodies.
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coming over from Knick of Time Tuesday. Great finds... love old store stuff.
    You have made some nice displays.
    Blessings,
    Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasures

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what luck you had getting all of those - I love every single one! Al the labels and price tags are "priceless" as well. Thanks so much for sharing at Knick of Time Tuesday - I'll be featuring you next week and there will be an "I Was Featured" button waiting there for you!

    Blessings,
    Angie @ Knick of Time

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a wonderful opportunity. I would love to hear how that came about. Were there others there digging or just you? How fantastic that you were able to bring home all those cool drawers and such and I just love the way you've put it all together. Beautiful!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: I'm now following and hope you'll stop over at Quirky Vistas and do the same if you like!
      Liz

      Delete
  8. Wonderful Pick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I love the drawers with the paper.
    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so jealous of your beautiful drawers! Love their patina and their story of discovery is delightful :~)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your ideas using the drawers! Very on trend and gorgeous. I'd love for you to share it at my blog party, Twirl & Take a Bow at www.houseontheway.com. It's every Tuesday and runs through Sunday. I love for you to stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! The numbered tins are cute, too!
    I would love if you came by to link up to my party happening now!
    Stacey of Embracing Change
    http://staceyembracingchange.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't even tell you how much I love this! First of all I'm a HUGE fan of stenciling things! Never thought of stenciling drawers and using them for decoration! I just love it! I always drool over old crates at antique stores, but I can get such a similar look with this idea! That's it, I'm going to start scavenging through my basement for drawers so I can try this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this post!
    Wonderful pictures.
    I love old drawers wire baskets and use them for storage.
    I like everything nice and organized.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Will visit again soon.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  14. What adorable vintage treasures you snagged! Sounds funny, but I like you old drawers! ;)

    Thank you for sharing your nifty finds at Potpourri Friday at 2805!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG! You found some fabulous stuff!!! I love all your vignettes too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh what fun! I love the cute drawers you picked out.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love digging, too, but always have the fear of spiders jumping out at me! :) They so freak me out. I love everything that you got...omg! I especially love the white drawers with the numbers you painted on them.

    Hugs, Angie

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great find!!!
    I love what you did with all the drawers.
    I, too have a thing for these little wonders.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Michele
    ps, glad you didn't run into any lil creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fun pick! Great finds, and you've displayed everything so nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The adventure certainly paid off. The drawers were a great find and the vignettes you created are very attractive. My favorites are those labels!

    Distressed Donna Down home

    ReplyDelete
  21. I had to smile when I read this post, because I just posted about all my drawers 2 days ago! I looove the ones in your family room, and how you displayed them on that shelf-what an amazing find!! I'm your newest follower, and would love you to stop by and say hi! :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  22. sooooooo cool.

    found you via the charm of home and hope you'll stop by and follow!

    http://hellolovelyinc.blogspot.com/2012/08/living-room-new-beginning.html

    smiles.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great vignettes created with those old drawers. Thanks for sharing at Wow and this will be one of the features tomorrow night.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That was an awesome pick! I love all the drawers as well as the spools of string and the price tags. You've put up such beautiful vignettes using your great finds.
    I've just sent you a private e-mail.
    Hugs,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love them! I made my own, check it out at http://hickorytrailblog.blogspot.com/2012/08/fall-trough-project.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really want to go picking with you. These are some amazing finds. My favorite drawers are the ones with the price tags on them. Love. Love. Love. Visiting from Savvy Southern Style and following you now, too.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my...you hit the jackpot with these treasures! Love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great looks with these old finds! Thank you for joining me at HSH!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am featuring this today. Thanks for the great entry to HSH!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful pictures. I love all of these great finds. I have a link party on Wednesdays, and I would love it if you would link this and any other posts. It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. It runs from Wednesday to Sundays.
    http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/08/tangerine-toner-and-wednesdays-adorned.html
    I hope to see you there. I am your newest follower, and I would love for your to follow me also. Have a great Day.
    Debi Bolocofsky
    Adorned From Above
    www.adornedfromabove.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. wow! this is a dream pick! love what you found!

    ReplyDelete
  32. LOVE all those fun drawers and cool labels!! Lucky you :) Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  33. Absolutely love the blog, we work with a small budget too, so everything is DIY, newest follower here, can't wait to see your other projects.

    Jan
    door251.com

    ReplyDelete