Sunday, August 15, 2010

Pink Paint and Power Tools

What more does a girl need?


I had this shelf from my previous home.  It is a shaker style and was originally painted a Williamsburg shade of green, if that makes sense.  Many years ago, I painted it white and added lace trim to the shelves.  Still didn't work.  So it has been in my basement waiting to be sold, donated, whatever.



Yes, it is meant to hang this way, even though it looks upside down. Well, since I've been trying to repurpose the things in my basement, I thought why not try to transform it from shaker style to cottage style?



Using plates and bowls as patterns, I drew curves on the side of the shelf.



I cut the curves with my jigsaw.  I used a scroll blade. 



And it worked!  No one could be more surprised than I was.  At this point, I put on a coat of paint.  It looked terrible.  I thought there was no way to get the new cuts smooth enough to paint.  So, I did what I had to do.


 

I bought a power sander.  I had no idea that the wood could be that smooth.   For those of you that already use an orbit sander, this is your cue to laugh.  That's enough.

So I got the edges smooth and put on another coat of paint.  It looked terrible.  The curves were just to bumpy and imperfect.  Back outside it went for more sanding.  This continued on several more times until I was finally happy with the results.


And you remember my shabby pink bench that I made here?  I have been dying to use more of this pink paint.  So that's what I did.


I put the shelf over the toilet in the master bath.  It is a very small, separate room, so that's the best picture I could get.



I'm going to have lots of fun accessorizing this one.  I'll need storage for all those personal items, something to hold extra rolls of toilet paper, and of course a lot of "just because they're pretty" things.

Janet

I'll be joining these great parties:



19 comments:

  1. I just love it...totally transformed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, Janet! I think the curves did it! Sometimes I guess you have to take a risk; you did and it paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Janet! You're the smartest and most creative one! I love what you did to your little shelf and the color looks great! I've never had or used a sander like that! Looks fun!
    Thanks for popping in to see my kitchen.
    be a sweetie,
    shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great makeover! Thanks for being so specific with the details (ie:scroll blade). Like the antique finish too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, how clever. I would have never thought to cut the sides into a scroll design. It looks fabulous and how perfect is it for the bathroom. You did a great job and I love the pink. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a fantastic transformation! Love the color and the new shape! Great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're amazing! I'm seeing all these women using power tools and I'm so jealous :) That pink color is to.die.for. Does it have a name? Did you do a glaze or stain over it to get that aged effect? Perfection.

    So glad you could Mi4M!
    cindy@cottage instincts

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG Janet - What an amazing transformation! I love the curves you added to the shelf. You are skilled using that skillsaw. So adorable!!! Stopping by from SOYCM.
    -marie

    ReplyDelete
  9. A power sander. I am so jealous. You created a beautiful transformation with that shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a fantastic makeover. I love what you did to it. Perfect that you added curves and gave it a new color. Very pretty!
    Thanks for stopping by.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great transformation!Love the new design and the pink color is gorgeous. What a fun storage solution and place for pretty things.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Janet! Wow! Great metamorphosis! Just love it! Your distressing technique is just perfect!

    I'm jealous of your power sander, too..... lol!

    Happy Met Monday!

    xoxo laurie@heavens-walk

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the plate idea. And that pink is so pretty. I'm going to look at your bench post now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh! How I love when things turn to pink! LOVE it!
    Have a pretty day!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Janet!

    Don't you just ADORE your new sander? I recently got one also What a big help it is getting your furniture ready to refinish or paint.

    Thanks for your comment on my candle centerpiece. I used Lazertran for InkJet printers for the music sheet transfer. I purchase it from Blick Art Supply. It's nice because you can print them out at home. They also make one for lazer copiers, but I find that more cumbersome. Another less expensive alternative is to create a photo transfer with clear contact paper (I get mine at Wal-Mart). For that process you will need a color lazer copy. You cover the copy with the clear contact paper and burnish it really well. Then you soak it in some warm water for about 5-10 minutes. When you remove it from the water you need to remove the paper pulp. I use my fingers in a circular motion This takes awhile, but it does save you money over the Lazertran. You do get a little better quality transfer with the Lazertran also. I just applied the transfer with Mod Podge (love that stuff!).

    Hope this helps??? Let me know if you have any other questions.

    Have a great daay!

    Cori

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have to mention this item first as this is what face painting is all about. It is best to use water based paints like Snazaroo for all the reasons you can think of. Personally, I think the ease of washing and cleaning up (both the faces and the painting tools) suffices to justify the selection of such paints over the cream based make-ups. Paint Brush Manufacturer

    ReplyDelete