Sunday, February 14, 2010

Pierre Deux Knockoff




I received this catalogue in the mail and as soon as I saw it I knew I wanted this for my front door. Two reasons not to order it-too expensive and I believe it is made with dried flowers, which would never hold up in the winds around here.  So I took the challenge and decided to make my own version.

The ribbon is what I loved about this basket.  I knew I could never find ribbon like this at stores in my area, so I decided to make wired fabric ribbon.




I cut 3- 4 1/2 inch strips of the main fabric and 6- 2  inch strips for the border.




Sewed the strips together to make three continuous strips,








And sewed the three strips together .







I followed the package directions to apply  heat-n bond to the two outer edges.




Then I folded over the fabric with the wire in the middle and fused the fabric together. 




I filled a metal basket I found at Hobby Lobby with floral foam and moss.  I tied on my wired fabric ribbon and I was ready for the flowers.  I filled the basket with flowers I bought at Michaels.





Now my question for you.  Is it wrong to put a bright floral arrangement like this on the front door in the middle of winter?

Parties I'll be joining:




Janet

29 comments:

  1. This looks great! I love that you made your own wire ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great job you did. I like yours better than the Pierre Deux one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you did.....beautiful colors.....I think it's fine for winter! Toni

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the ribbon. Love the ida. mishelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so smart to create your own fabric ribbon. I say put whatever you want on your door when you want it there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely! Seeing that ribbon really makes my wheels start turning with ideas. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is beautiful! I love a burst of color in the bleak winter, so I think it's completely acceptable :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this and I love Pierre Deux. I have this store right down the block from me. I had to stop going it because I spend too much money every visit. This is a perfect knock off. I want to try this myself. I have been looking for a basket like that. Can you tell me where you got yours?
    Thanks,
    Carey from Chicory Nits

    ReplyDelete
  9. You clever girl! I am going to try this when I have time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bought the same basket at Hobby Lobby and was wanting to fill it with moss then some twine balls, natural balls, and moss balls for a wall in my kitchen. I'm glad to see what the moss looks like in yours! Now I'm thinking I need a second one for my front door.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I looked back through your blog, and I like your style, girl, I like it a lot!

    Scribbler

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found you via linky for the screen.
    Yours basket is definately way better than the original inspiration. your ribbon looks better and I love the tutorial on it. the basket is nicer and the flowers look way better.
    winter is bleak and needs some cheer so it is a great idea to have a happy colourful decoration on the door.
    great work!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Plan to buy a basket for myself. Hope they still have them. Thanks for the ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is my favorite piece in Pierre Deux and I actually saved that picture on my computer to copy one of these days. I love the ribbon idea. I can't wait to make this for my front door this spring--and it's perfect for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG girl! I simply love what you have done! I am blown away by your talent and the beauty that you have created.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is so clever. I love it. Your basket looks amazing. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hmmm...that looks just lovely! What a nice way to bring cheer to late winter! I love that basket. I'm going to see if I can find something like that for my front door!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful and especially good because it IS winter. Something to perk up the gray winter days. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous! So much prettier than the one in the catalog. Your ribbon is exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stunning. Just love it. Looks better than the original!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh this is gorgeous! I think yours looks better than the catalog's! Very pretty!
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this! You did a great job! I had actually been looking for ribbon like they used. What a great way to make your own ribbon. How long was your finished ribbon? Also, do you mind sharing where you found the fabric? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Janice. The ribbon was about 3 yards long. I purchased the fabric from Jackmans Fabric store in St. Louis.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this project and your blog! There are so many interesting projects. I will be visiting often.

    ReplyDelete